Information sessions are being conducted across Victoria to reveal further details to producers about the impending mandatory electronic tagging of sheep and goat.
From 1 January 2017, all sheep and goats born in Victoria will require an electronic National Livestock Identification System (NLIS) tag before they leave their property of birth.
Agriculture Victoria is conducting eleven information sessions in the coming weeks, as well as a webinar on 1 December for producers in remote areas unable to attend information session.
Agriculture Victoria’s agricultural services director Dougal Purcell said it was important sheep and goat producers were familiar with what was required.
"Agriculture Victoria is on hand to help producers with this new system and make sure they have access to the information they need,” Mr Purcell said.
“We’ll talk through how to purchase the newly priced electronic NLIS tags, what producers’ responsibilities are and how to access co-funded equipment grants.”
Sessions in the Wimmera and Mallee have not been scheduled yet as cropping is underway, additional workshops will be held in the area in the new year. Farmers who are seeking additional information can join the webinar on 1 December or visit the Agriculture Victoria website.
“The December sessions are about awareness of what’s required and the funding available to support producers. Further sessions next year will cover management opportunities some producers may have as a result of individual identification of their sheep and goats.”
“We would also like to hear from producers on what they see as the key information to include in the workshop program for 2017, please send ideas email@example.com.”
Workshops, that will run for approximately 2.5 hours, are being held across the state at:
- Monday 5 December – 12.00pm East Gippsland Livestock Exchange,Bairnsdale
- Tuesday 6 December – 11.00am Victorian Livestock Exchange, Pakenham
- Tuesday 6 December – 7.30am Hamilton Saleyards Canteen, Hamilton
- Wednesday 7 December – 7.30am Colac Golf Club
- Wednesday 7 December – 2.00pm Victorian Livestock Exchange Leongatha, Koonwarra
- Thursday 8 December – 7.30am Chalambar Golf Club, Ararat
- Thursday 8 December – 9.00am Agriculture Victoria office at Epsom, Bendigo
- Thursday 8 December – 5.30pm Mia Mia Hall, Mia Mia
- Tuesday 13 December – 1.00pm Victorian Livestock Exchange, Sale
- Tuesday 13 December – 9.00am 'Glasshouse' Lakeside Community Centre, Benalla
- Wednesday 14 December – 9.00am Agriculture Victoria office, Rutherglen